The School-based Support Team (SBST) is responsible for determining the support needs of our learners. The team is involved in coordinating the provision of the identified support both within the school framework and Education Department's policies.
FUNCTIONS OF THE SBST
Coordinating and overseeing all learner and teacher support in the school
- Person in charge: Nicolette Solomon
Identifying school needs with a focus on barriers to learning both at a learner and teacher level
- All teachers are involved in the initial phase of identifying barriers to learning
Developing appropriate in-class and school-based strategies to address these needs - this is two-fold
- A ILST (Instituional level support team) will address the standard DAT (Didactical Aid Teaching) that is commonly seen as "extra" or "remedial" tutorials.
- Where further aid is required, the process of applying for concessions will be guided by the teacher in charge of the Screening, Identification, Assessment and Support policies and documentation with the Department of Education
Monitoring and evaluating the work of the team in supporting all learners identified with barriers to learning
- Where required, a learner will be assigned a Case Manager (teacher) who is a liason teacher with whom the parent will interact directly regarding the overall needs of their child
- Each grade is allocated a Convenor who will oversee all the case managers assigned within their grade.
ORGANISATION OF THE SBST
IMPORTANT EMAIL ADDRESSES
HOD SBST: nici AT fairmont.co.za
Concession Applications: concessions AT fairmont.co.za
Tutorial classes: avanniekerk AT fairmont.co.za