SCREENING MATRIC STUDENTS AT HOME
Dear Matric Parent
It is extremely important that you do your own screening of your child at home before you drop him/her off at school.
Even though we have procedures in place to deal with learners who record a higher temperature or answer yes to any of the questions as illustrated in the video, we would want to avoid putting other people at risk and causing possible panic amongst our learners and staff.
If there are any signs of illness or even if he/she feels unwell, then rather keep him/her at home. If your child answers yes to any of the questions or if they record a temperature of 38 degrees or higher here at school when we screen them, we will isolate him/her and call you to come and fetch him/her.
MR ERASMUS'S LETTER REGARDING THE MATRIC RETURN TO SCHOOL
Monday to Friday: 07:30 – 08:30. Both break times. An hour after school (Friday – ½ hour after school)
Please call Heidi Sparks at 021 976 1147. Click the link in the title to check our range of stock.
If your child is absent, an email must be sent to their register teacher when they return to school to explain their absence. A doctor's note (as you will see below) is necessary if your child misses an assessment.
ABSENT FOR AN ASSESSMENT
Learners are not allowed to go home immediately after a test if they are ill. They have to stay until first break.
- NO learner will be allowed to go home early on any day or after a test without a written letter from the parent requesting this. No emails will be accepted.
- Permission to go home early will only be allowed in the case of an emergency.
- If a learner is too ill to stay for the full day after a test, then they must not come to school to write.
- In case of absenteeism a medical certificate or relevant chemist slip must be provided.
All learners are required to be at school at the regular time - 07h50 - even if they are not writing a test. This time will be used for academic consolidation or tasks organised by various subject departments.
All parents are asked to be aware that when a child misses a Monday or a Thursday test, a certificate from the clinic, a doctor’s certificate or a relevant chemist slip is required. The date on the chemist slip and medication bought must pertain to the pupil’s absenteeism.
A medical certificate from either the clinic or the doctor is applicable for missing any exam.
No exceptions will be made for learners who miss formal assessments owing to holiday arrangements.
Grade 9 and Matric pupils must produce a doctor’s certificate for tests and exams missed as these are the two exit phases and the marks are externally moderated by the Education Department.
LEARNERS LEAVING EARLY
- If a learner feels too sick to continue the school day or have to leave for an appointment, he/she must adhere to the following “sign-out procedure”:
- The learner must bring a letter from the parent (or send an email) to school on the day of leaving early. They must report to the DCR (Discipline Control Room) to obtain a “sign-out form”. This form is taken to all the teaching staff to sign and acknowledge that he/she will not be in class for the lesson. If a test or any other assessment activity is scheduled, the staff member may request the learner to be present for the lesson.
- Please note that the front office will contact parents/guardians to fetch learners and that this arrangement should not be made by the learners. It is also important that parents allow for enough time for the process (explained above) to be followed. Learners must therefore sign out at least 20 minutes before their collection time, and be ready for collection at the Front Office, at the time mentioned in the letter.
- After the necessary documentation has been signed, learners will be signed out at reception by their guardian/parent who has arrived to fetch them.
- t is advised that, should parents/learners be aware that they have scheduled an appointment, the learners arrange/fetch the necessary documentation timeously - i.e. earlier in the day.
- Please note that learners are not allowed to leave the school’s premises or class without following procedure or before the necessary documentation has been completed.
School will commence at 07h50 and end each day at 14h35
NB: There may be occasions when pupils will be required to stay up to ten minutes later without prior warning.